Sunday, January 3, 2010

Some new things..

I am really excited about the New Year so far!  Today we went to church, minus Dan...we will get there some day!  I took my nieces, Lexi and Daniel and we really enjoyed ourselves.  Even before the New Year, my nieces were asking me if we could find a church and would I take them.  So one day, my oldest niece texted me and told me she found a church and I couldn't even believe that she picked the church we had already been to a few times.  This is the Christian church in Wentzville that Brooke and Craig belong to and have acquired an AMAZING church family from.  (This will be a whole nother post).

After church, we all came back and had some lunch.  Then it was off to shop at one more store and take the kiddos home.  So, there are 3 girls and a boy.  They range in age from 11 to 16 and they are just wonderful kids.  We don't ever have to yell at them, punish them or anything like that.  This is like their home away from home.  We aren't quite as strict as parents, but we still hold them accountable for their actions.  So today, we were running into Old Navy (due to the negative 20 degree weather...ick) and as soon we got in to the door, my youngest niece says "Shut up, *racial slur*"..yes, you read correct.  I just couldn't believe it.  I was so embarassed.  I told her to go back out to the truck.  She whined and said she wasn't talking to me, but rather her older sister.  I told her that I didn't care and again told her to go back out to the truck.  We were only in the store for a few more minutes and by the time we got out there, she was a sobbing mess.  I was so angry.  I was angry that she would be that stupid to say something in public like that, I was angry that she was acting so "upset" that I told her to go to the truck and I was upset at what this could bring.  My SIL (sister-in-law) is very, very protective of her kids and rightfully so.  I would be too.  If one of my kiddos came home crying, I would immediately jump to conclusions maybe.  So, with the new "me"...I tried very, very hard to get over it and fast.  So, we shall see how this goes and find out if my SIL feels the same way as me.

Next, we got a new washer and dryer last week.  Its the front-loading, high efficiency type.  They are both very beautiful and we are hoping that they save us a TON of money on the electric and water bills!  Well, the washing machine sounds like a turbine engine shutting down and the dryer makes this obnoxious beeping noise.  This will take some getting used to.

Finally, my grandparents recently sold their home in the country and have moved to St. Chuck to be closer to family and the hospital as my grandpa's health is fading a bit.  They moved here mid-November and have been staying with my aunt.  Well, the time has come for them to figure out what they are going to do.  I couldn't even imagine what it is like to make the decisions they are facing.  If they rent, they are literally throwing away money each month (just like every other renter, I know) and if they buy, they are spending more than they ever have each month.  See, if either one of my grandparents were to pass, they would lose the other ones social security income.  Without both, the income would be only half.  While they do have savings, who knows how long that would last.  And if they had a home, they would have to worry about keeping it up, selling it, etc.  So either way, they would be stuck with something.  Well, my aunt and my mother both have issues with having their own space.  My grandparents have been my rocks and so amazing and wonderful to me my whole entire life.  If it weren't for them, I wouldn't be the person I am today.  They continue to help us every day.  We are renting our house and we have just over a year left on the lease.  My grandma started talking about them buying a house and we would all live together and that way if something happened to either one of them, we would be there to help them.  Also, it seems as though if you have any money and either of you gets put in a nursing home, they will take all of your money to pay costs.  So, if your money is "tied up" in a house, there is nothing for them to take.  Anywho, like I said, our house is not that big, but our basement is finished and finished very nicely.  There is a bathroom down there, a full wet bar with a sink and a refrigerator.  The only bad parts are the stairs and that there is no shower down there.  So, my grandpa will have to climb the stairs to come and go and to take a shower, but that shouldn't be too bad.  This way, we can help them (grocery shopping, getting their mail and picking up their prescriptions).  Also, if there were a health problem or emergency, neither of them would have to deal with it alone.  So....after a long story NOT short, my grandparents will take over the basement, which means that our play room will go away.  We have 3 bedrooms upstairs and the kids each have their own room.  So, I am wondering how fun it might be for the kids to share a room and turn one of their current rooms into a play room.  Somehow Lexi got the smaller of the two rooms, so tonight we are giving a try to shared rooms.  We inherited 2 twin beds when my Uncs passed and my aunt and cousin moved out of the house.  One of them is in Lexi's current room and the other was in Daniel's room, in addition to his crib, which I firmly believe he will probably be in until he is about 17.  So, we put her sheets on the twin bed in Daniel's room and here we go! 

Tomorrow could be a good or bad day, we shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment